More than two decades after the release of The Passion of the Christ, director Mel Gibson has officially completed filming on the highly anticipated sequel, The Resurrection of the Christ, with the first image from the production now released to the public.
According to Entertainment Weekly, Finnish actor Jaakko Ohtonen will portray Jesus Christ in the new films, replacing Jim Caviezel, who famously played Christ in the original 2004 film.
Entertainment Weekly reported that Caviezel, now 57 years old, would have required extensive de-aging technology because the sequel begins only days after Christ’s crucifixion and Resurrection. The recasting was ultimately viewed as the more practical decision for the production.
The first-look image released by Lionsgate shows Ohtonen in character as Jesus in what appears to continue the deeply reverent and visually dramatic style that defined the original film.
The sequel will be divided into two parts. Part One is scheduled for release on May 6, 2027 — Ascension Day — while Part Two is expected to arrive on May 25, 2028, also on Ascension Day.
In a statement shared by Entertainment Weekly, Gibson reflected on the significance of the project.
“I’m deeply grateful to my incredibly talented cast and crew for pouring their hearts into this production. Together, we created something powerful,” Gibson said.
He continued, “This film represents a major part of my life’s work, and it has demanded everything of me as a filmmaker and as an artist. This is far more than a film to me. It’s a mission I’ve carried for over twenty years to tell what I believe is the most important story in human history.”
Gibson also spoke about reconnecting with members of the original creative team behind The Passion of the Christ.
“Reuniting with many of my original collaborators from The Passion of the Christ — true masters of their craft — allowed us to bring this story to the screen exactly as I envisioned it,” he said, according to Entertainment Weekly.
The role of Mary Magdalene has also been recast. Cuban actress Mariela Garriga will take over the role previously portrayed by Monica Bellucci.
The original Passion of the Christ became a worldwide phenomenon after its release in 2004. Produced independently by Gibson for approximately $30 million, the film earned more than $610 million globally and remained for years one of the highest-grossing R-rated films in American history.
In previous interviews, Gibson suggested the upcoming films will explore far more than the events immediately following the Resurrection. Speaking on Joe Rogan’s podcast last year, Gibson described the script as unlike anything he had ever read.
“There’s some crazy stuff,” Gibson said, according to Entertainment Weekly. “In order to tell the story properly you have to start with the fall of the angels. You’re in another realm. You need to go Hell. You need to go to Sheol.”
He added, “It’s about trying to find a way in that’s not cheesy or obvious. It’s almost like a magic trick. [The story] goes from the fall of the angels to the death of the last apostle.”
For many Christians, anticipation surrounding the sequel remains strong because of the spiritual impact The Passion of the Christ had on audiences around the world. The original film’s portrayal of Christ’s suffering, sacrifice, and love deeply moved countless viewers and sparked renewed reflection on the Passion narratives found in the Gospels.
Now, with filming complete and the first official image revealed, audiences are getting their first glimpse into what may become one of the most discussed faith-based film events of the coming decade.
Your support brings the truth to the world.
Catholic Online News exists because of donors like you. We are 100% funded by people who believe the world deserves real, uncensored news rooted in faith and truth — not corporate agendas. Your gift ensures millions can continue to access the news they can trust — stories that defend life, faith, family, and freedom.
When truth is silenced, your support speaks louder.